A Harvard Study recently found that dirty air can have a huge impact on your health. It can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, or even possible strokes. With over 3.3 million deaths every year due to air pollution there are ways to keep your home safe and keep your air clean.
Here are 10 ways to keep your air clean via MNN.com:
1. Vent out your home by opening up those windows. A lot of chemicals and pollutants can stay trapped in non ventilated areas of your home.
2. Try getting a house plant. Plants such as Spider Plants are effective at reducing benzene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and xylene according to American Society for Horticultural Science.
3. Have essential oils diffusing in your home. This can help reduce airborne bacteria and even dust mites.
4. Try leaving your shoes by the front door. This helps keep dust, dirt, pesticides in one area vs all over your home floors.
5. Keep your pets groomed. Make sure that your pets are being groomed regularly. This helps reduce pet dander that causes major allergies. Also make sure that you are vacuuming regularly as well.
6. Make sure to run your AC. This helps to ventilate the house with clean air. But make sure you are checking the filter and keeping that clean.
7. Try cleaning with nontoxic chemicals. Most cleaning products are made with extremely harsh chemicals that can cause eyes, throats, and lungs to develop infections or irritations.
8. Use an air purifier. These reduce the harmful airborne bacterias that float throughout your house. A lot of these airborne bacterias can cause asthma even for younger children.
9. If you have any mold in your house GET rid of it! Mold can trigger bad allergies. It lives in dark wet places such as bathrooms, laundry rooms, and even basements.10. If you buy new furniture make sure to air it out from all the toxic chemicals. These chemicals come from the glue, paints and fabrics that they use to make the furniture.